Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Newt Gingrich Mock Interview

Newt Gingrich has not agreed to be interviewed by the Dismal Political Economist but then this may be because he has not been asked to provide an interview.

In the absence of a real interview, the Dismal Political Economist presents what such an interview would likely be like.

  1. You have been called a person of “great ideas”.  Can you give us some examples.

A  Well, I believe in the greatness of America, and that’s just a great idea.  I think Republicans have been great Presidents.  Another great idea is my great idea to make American even greater.

Q.  But can you be specific?

A.  Sure, I come up with at least 15 great ideas before Breakfast.  Some of them are better than others, but you know, all are great.

Q.  But what exactly are they?

A. One is to require prayer on airline flights, you know, no flight that has had an organized prayer has ever crashed.  I also want to have a full sized aquarium in every school.  It can serve both the education goals and the school cafeteria.

Q.  Let’s turn to the issue of the day.  Do you or do you not support a mandate that requires everyone to have health insurance.

A.  As I have said in the past requiring everyone to have health insurance is a great idea, and you know how I feel about my great ideas.  Of course, this should be voluntary, that is, requiring mandatory coverage would be voluntary and individuals could opt out, in which case they would be required to sign a waiver saying they did not intend to become ill.

Q.  That does not make sense.

A.  Well a lot of great ideas don’t when they first come out.  I think it will after people think about.  In fact, Fox News will do an hour show on it next week.

Q.  Do you support the Ryan Proposal to end Medicare and replace it with premium subsidies.

A.  First of all the Ryan Proposal does not end Medicare, it saves Medicare by replacing it with something completely different.  We call it Medicare.  Now the Ryan Proposal is not a great idea, I am the only candidate with great ideas.  And it involves social engineering.  I am not in favor of social engineering, but I do think we can engineer solutions to social problems.  I have called Rep. Ryan and told him of my support for him and his program, and that because it does not include the individual mandate I cannot support it.

Q. Your marital problems have been in the news.  Do you think it is fair to talk about your private life?

A.  I have only been married three times.  And the first two times my wife at the time did not object to my dating other women, at least they never said so.  Of course they didn’t know, so that may not mean much.  Because I was working so hard for my country, I just could not have time to control my personal life.  My divorces were the price America had to pay for my service.

Thanks for clearing all that up for us.










No comments:

Post a Comment